I was looking for something heart warming tonight, given that it is -1 degrees Celsius outside! And so I decided to make my bean and vegetable pie.
There are so many ways to make this but I went with the seasonal veg we had from our local veg box and then beans I had in the cupboard, but you can amend as you see fit!
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1 large leek (chopped)
2 medium carrots (chopped)
10 kale leaves
4 stalks of broccoli
3 tins 400g tins of beans (I went for black bean x2 and cannellini)
3 tablespoons of kallu stock
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
2 cups of water
1 table spoon of mixed herbs
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 heaped teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon coriander
6 medium potatoes peeled
1 heaped tablespoon of margarine
Milk alternative (add until smooth consistency, still firm and not sloppy)
Mixed herbs to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the over to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Put the potatoes on to boil until a knife goes in easily so they are soft enough to mash
- Meanwhile, heat the oil on a medium heat, and add the onions, garlic, carrots and leek.
- Ones the onions are soft, add the kale and broccoli and fry for a couple more minutes
- Add the flour and spices, mixing through the vegetables and then add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, stock, beans and water. The mixture should be fluid but nor runny.
- Mash the potatoes in a pan and add the margarine. Add enough milk for them to be smooth but still firm.
- Poor the bean mixture into a dish 2/3 full. Add the mash, spreading it out with a fork, creating fork marks. Add a sprinkling of mixed herbs.
- Put in the over for around 30 mins or the toppings peaks are brown